Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lax season 2009, injuries and all

This was Conner's second year playing lacrosse, and his first playing for the high school. He was defender on the JV team. They started off to kind of a rocky start. A lot of the players were just freshmen, and they are still learning stick skills and other moves.

At a lot of the games, JV played after Varsity. This particular game went into triple overtime, and then our team won. Needless to say, this was a loooong wait, and a late game. But being the troopers they are, they played well, and won.

Hmm, can't remember which game this is. Conner is number 19. There are 3 defenders, the goalie and whatever middies that make it down field. The defenders use 6 foot sticks, and their job is to pressure the other team to drop the ball, pick it up and clear it down field. Most of them have stopped a ball the hard way, and they had beauty bruises to show off. You try getting hit with a solid rubber ball going 80-100 miles an hour.


The team began and ended each game with this cheer. I think they yelled family. I thought it was really cool.

Yup. That's my boy. I think he needs to wrapped in bubble wrap and locked in a room. He took an awesome hit at practice and dislocated his shoulder. Notice the funky bump in the picture below. I was shopping when I got a call. Ididn't recognize the caller, but answered anyway. It was the coach saying he just called 911, and I might want to come to the park. Ya think? So, I followed the ambulance, the fire truck and two police cars up the hill, (must have been a slow night :)) and arrived to see Conner flat out with coach holding his arm still. They didn't dare move him until EMT's checked him out. He was hit, flipped in the air and landed on left side. They checked him out, and said they could take him to ER. I asked, (begged) to let me take him, and they let me. And we have the most horrible, bumpy roads here, so I had to go really slow. Poor kid. This top pic is after they drugged him up an put his shoulder back where its supposed to be. Wish I had a video camera, cuz he was funny!

Conner, should you have an extra bump in your shoulder? He was out for two weeks. The last game of the season was exactely two weeks later. The doctor said he shouldn't play, but I let him, just for 10 minutes or so. Of course he chooses to go in on man down defense, when there are only 2 defenders, because one is in penalty. His team mates really took care of him though, and he didn't any bad hits. By this last game, they were really working well as a team. You could tell those who had been doing extra practices, and were hitting the wall.

Tiny, Kocherhans, Alli and her friend. Most of the players had nicknames. It was hard to know who was who without thier numbers.


Coach See getting "honored". He is an awesome coach, and the boys really liked him.

J, Tiny and Conner, and a few friends.



Oh, this was that same last game. Conner is #19 in the back, waiting for the ball to come to him. I threatened his life if he got hit. Actually I threatened the whole team. The dr thought he shouldn't play, but hey, it's the last game of the season. He had to, at least for a minute, or 10. :)


Conner is at the back putting pressure on the other team. They poke and hit with those 6 foot sticks trying to knock the ball out of the pocket. Sometimes they don't hit just the other player's stick though. Oops.

And that was a really fun (except for er visit) season. It's great to see the teamwork and friendship these boys have. Can't wait for next spring! Now Conner, go hit the wall!

2 comments:

AlliLovesLax said...

OMG I LOVED THAT GAME! i wish i could go to that game again!

Jeri said...

Crazy about his arm! That had to be so terrible.

I wish I could see a game!